Tuesday, October 19, 2010

What can I say about Gram?

 
Gram turned 80 on October 16th and she threw a big party for the entire* family. Of course Gram would want to host a big dinner for everyone that she loves, because that is just Gram. She loves to be surrounded by her family and she spent the entire night smiling and laughing. It was a perfect dinner with everyone together that then moved to her house for more fun.  

My dad did a great job giving a toast about Gram.
What can I say about Gram?  Well, Gram and PopPop have always lived next door to my parents house.  Therefore, we have always been extremely close.  I have the most wonderful memories of walking over Gram's house to have a snack of cheese and crackers, rice pudding and iced tea.  Actually, what am I talking about...I just did that this past Monday morning.  Anyway, every holiday or special event, I would run over Gram's and play in her jewelery box picking out jewelery for us to wear after we had compared our outfits, making sure we liked what the other was wearing. Gram came over on Sunday before the party and asked me if I liked her outfit and of course I did---she always looks beautiful!  When I was younger, Gram would go to many of my games in high school and college and she would always be right there on the sideline cheering me on and screaming words of encouragement. To this day, she remembers games and specific plays that I have forgotten and when she talks about them it is like she is right there at the game! Gram is a great cook and loves keeping the family Italian recipes alive from past generations. There are so many holidays that all I remember is sitting around the table with my entire family eating delicious food that Gram cooked for all of us with love. Over the years, she has created for us a collection of family traditions that make everything more special and more memorable. My favorite holiday has always been Christmas and I know that it is because of our wacky "open presents at midnight followed by a full meal at 2am" tradition that Gram started.  One of the best things about Gram is she never stops moving and is always up for anything and everything at a moments notice.  For example, if I am visiting my parents, I will call her house at 10am and say, "Gram, I am going shopping with Mom, can you be ready in five minutes?" And she will say, "Let me comb my hair and put some lipstick on and I will meet you outside in two minutes." Then the three of us would spend hours shopping, talking and having fun.


Gram holding Drew the day he was born.
Gram holding Katie the day she was born.
Last year Drew started going over Gram's house by himself, making the short walk to visit his great- grandparents.  He sits on the same chair and eats his snack and talks to Gram about who knows what just like I used to do by myself when I was little.  I know that it will only be a few months before Katie makes the two minute walk by herself.  What a special relationship it is between a girl and her grandmother and I am so lucky to see the relationship that has developed between my children and their great-grandmother.
Doesn't 80 look good?!
I love calling Gram and talking about our lives.  Or, even better, I love sitting with her and hearing her tell me stories about our family.   There is something very special about listening to someone who has lived such a full and wonderful life tell you about it through her memories.   We talk all the time and I always ask for her advice and guidance and I value her opinion very much.  She is everything that I want to be if I am lucky enough to turn 80.   She is family-focused, passionate, thoughtful, funny, witty, genuine, loving, smart, tough, feisty, loyal, and without a doubt the coolest Grandmom in the whole world. Happy Birthday Gram, I love you.



*The only family member who couldn't make the dinner was Andy, who was of course on call.

3 comments:

  1. You are so blessed and lucky to have your grandmother still around and in your life! I know you take advantage of it. So wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the sweetest tribute ever!!!!! Gram sounds like the coolest Great Grandmom EVER!

    ReplyDelete