Saturday, October 30, 2010

Poppy and Grandmom visit for the day

I don't think that I can ever get tired of seeing my children play with my parents.  They have so much fun together.  The kids get crazy right before Poppy and Grandmom arrive and they are always so happy the entire time that they are here. Whenever my parents come to visit, they bring lots of junk food with them because they know that I typically don't buy it for them and they think the kids are missing out or something.  I have almost given up on trying to stop it.  Katie actually asks Poppy for cheese doodles by name now.  Great.  My parents came to NYC for the day this past Thursday and the kids were so excited that they "decorated" the apartment the night before in preparation for their visit.
So proud of their decorations! 
As soon as they arrived, Drew and Grandmom immediately got to work on one of their favorite things to do together: cook!  First, they prepped dinner in the crockpot.
Grandmom has taught Drew all about using spices in his cooking!
Then they made dinosaur cupcakes for dessert.
Chocolate + dinosaurs = happy Drew.
Next, we headed to a picnic in Central Park followed by soccer practice. My mom had even made her famous chicken cutlets the night before for our lunch.  Yummy!
So cute!
Drew was thrilled because Poppy, Grandmom and Daddy were all at soccer to cheer him on.  Andy's hospital in only a 5 minute walk from the soccer field and he was able to surprise Drew at practice during a short break in between surgeries.  After soccer, we took Poppy and Grandmom to get cupcakes at Cake and Shake, one of our favorite snack places, then to one of our favorite playgrounds, the Ancient Playground
Sweet Katie fell asleep eating her chocolate!
After a fun afternoon in the park, we headed back home to work on a project that Drew was really excited about doing with Poppy.  I actually got this unopened toy from a garage sale in NJ a few months ago for $2, but it is listed on Amazon.    I Dig Dinosaurs Triceratops Skeleton Kit is a great toy!   Using tools and safety goggles just like an actual paleontologist, you have to carefully excavate the triceratops fossil bones.  Then, you piece them together, paint them, and you have your own dinosaur!    My friend Megan had given Drew an I Dig Dinosaurs TRex Kit for his 3rd birthday and it was a huge hit when we did it over the summer.
Working on excavating the fossils.
It was hard work and took a long time to get them out!
Drew posing with his triceratops while wearing his dinosaur costume.


Drew excavating the TRex back in June.
What a perfect day...I didn't have to make lunch or dinner, I didn't have to chase the two kids around the park and playground like a crazy momma and I was able to relax and watch my kids have a blast with their Grandparents.  Plus my dad scored a parking spot right in front of our building.  PERFECT.

No comments:

Post a Comment