Sunday, November 14, 2010

Art Farm


Last summer, Andy and I decided that Drew wasn't going to start school until the fall that he was 4 years old. (I am actually looking for pre-k programs for him in the DC area now for the 2011-2012 school year!)  However, we thought it was important for Drew to have some sort of away-from-momma experience this year so he can start to get ready for going to pre-k next year.  I did a lot of research and even though there were many options, most programs did not have what I wanted. They either had 2 or 3 day required programs or were just too expensive. Then I heard about The Art Farm and it seemed to be a perfect fit for us.  Even though they have tons of different programs and activities for kids of all ages, I was most interested in their Friday morning Open House program.  Open House is a drop-off program (for 2.5 years and older) from 9:30am - 12pm that follows the same structure each week:
      Animals 9:30-10:15 --The kids visit the petting zoo on the lower level and get to play with the animals. They also learn about one animal each week.
     Baking & Art 10-11 --The kids head to the kitchen and activity room where they cook yummy food (think pumpkin ravioli, peach scones and raisin bread) as well as make an art project each week.  We have made it a tradition to hang up these projects in one place in his room where he proudly shows daddy and anyone else who comes over.
      Music 11-11:30 -- The kids go into the playroom and dance to music and play with musical instruments.
      Snack 11:30 - 12-- Snack time! 

Art Farm has been a HUGE success! He has gone a total of eight Fridays so far and he loves it.  There were two weeks in a row that he did not want to go, but he has gotten over that and now asks when it is Art Farm day.  When he gets there, he finds his favorite teacher, gives her a hug, holds her hand and then gives me a kiss good-bye.  When I pick him up he tells me everything that he has done and shows me everything he has made. Katie loves dropping off Drew at Art Farm and it is obvious that she wants to stay,  but I decided that it would be best if this was Drew's thing, since it is the only activity that he does completely on his own.  The other nice part of Art Farm is that it gives me the opportunity to have one-on-one time with Katie once a week. 

Also, Art Farm is actually affordable!  NYC preschool and preschool alternative programs are extremely pricey and it is ridiculous what parents have to pay.  Art Farm's open house program is only $30 (if you prepay for 10 classes at a time), which is a steal (again for NYC prices) and I have been really impressed. The teachers are wonderful and have taken the time to get to know Drew. Also, I love how the combination of animals, music, art, and cooking fits in perfectly with Drew's interests. 

We are going to finish up our 2 sessions that we have left for this semester and then we will sign up for the winter and spring sessions.  Hopefully Drew will continue to have a positive experience. 



3 comments:

  1. If I ever have kids in this city...they will go to Art farm! For sure. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So impressed with your "cheap" finds in NYC. You should do a blog on how to live inexpensively but nicely with young kids in NYC...get some sponsors...you get the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen- so glad you found a good alternative....The Art Farm sounds wonderful...and a great fit for Drew!!! I bet Katie is happy to get some time alone with you too :-)

    ReplyDelete