Monday, February 14, 2011

Can you spare a (state) quarter?



Drew is really into our 50 states.  It all started with a puzzle that I got in the fall at a yard sale for a quarter.  I looked online to see if I could buy this exact same one for a friend and I couldn't find it anywhere. It is the best states puzzle that I have ever seen- there are lots out there, but this one is great!

Drew knows all of his states, knows some of their capitals, and knows random facts about most of the states. For example, they like cheese in Wisconsin and the Grand Canyon is in Arizona. He can do the puzzle easily by himself and loves asking people where they are from when we have out-of-town visitors.  Later, when he is putting in that specific state he will say, "Robin and Brad are from California, Mommy and Daddy used to live in Ohio" and so forth. It is really fun. Except he is very worried that Robin and Brad will get hurt in an earthquake!  He also likes to cut out the shape of the states and then quiz us on which one it is. Is this kid ready for school or what??

He gets really excited when he hears states mentioned during our daily activities---- while watching a show or the news, in books, or in conversations with other people.  When we go the museum, I have to tell him where all the animals live  (all the answers are listed next to the exhibits).  I think that I am going to have to get him a good world puzzle next!

Santa brought him this State Quarter Collecting Map and it has been a HUGE hit.  We hung it in his room and we are almost finished. However, we cannot find a few quarters.  If you happen to have a few extra minutes...ha ha ha... can you please look and see if you have the quarters we are missing?  If you have them, take another extra few minutes and send them to a sweet 3.5 year old boy and you will be his hero. Seriously, he will talk about you for weeks.  


Here is what we need (our map includes the states, the District of Columbia and the US Territories):
Colorado  UPDATE 2/14/11: Nelly found Colorado and has mailed it to us! Thanks Nelly!
District of Columbia
American Samoa UPDATE 3/1/11: Emily gave American Samoa to us! Thanks Em!
Guam  UPDATE 2/15/11: Andy was given Guam in his coffee change just this morning! 

Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. You need to post a video of Drew doing this puzzle, it is truly amazing to watch in person...but a video would be incredible for those who haven't seen it. He is totally ready for school, I am sure he impressed his soon-to-be-teachers on his interviews! Way to go Drew!!!

    ReplyDelete